Monday, October 29, 2012

Cooking up a...Hurricane?!?!

Part of me wishes I had gone to work today for a half a day, then I wouldn't have had 6 hours of news of this hurricane under belt and thus 6 hours of being a nervous reck!!  All I have been hearing is this could be the worst storm we have ever had, wind gusts of a million miles per hour, people are going to die, etc etc...5 years ago, I was living in Arlington and prob would have been at the front page having a blast at some sort of storm party, now I am terrified and am having thoughts of us sleeping, the roof blowing off and me being an entire hallway away from my baby...we'll be having a slumber party in the basement!!  Besides things we can't control we are ready and prepared and just waiting for the worst of it...



Anywho, when Ryan has been napping over the past two days I have had the crock pot cranking, gives me something to do and takes me away from the window wondering what is going to fly into our house...yes I am well aware that I belong in the nut hut today!!

Yesterday, I made my chilli- it was awesome!!!  I cooked it in the crock pot so all day long it was onions and garlic throughout the house- YUMMMM!!!  Chilli is a staple in our house so my recipe has already been reported on the blog, you can see it here.

This morning we had omelets, super easy and very very tasty!!  Egg Whites, Feta Cheese, Tomatoes, Garlic, and Onions...




Now the Crock Pot is heating up something super exciting and a first for me.  My old roommate used to make Chicken and Dumplings all the time and when I saw Bisquick and chicken broth in the pantry this morning....ding ding ding, I found a recipe and am trying it out for myself!!

Ingredients:
  • 1 potato, peeled and chopped
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 14 oz. can ready to serve chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • Red Pepper Flakes - a King Original
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 2" pieces
  • 9 oz. pkg. frozen baby peas
  • 1-1/2 cups Bisquick Mix
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
In a 4 quart crockpot, mix potato, carrots, onion, garlic, and mushrooms if using.


In medium bowl, combine chicken broth, flour and seasoning and mix until smooth. Pour over vegetables in crockpot. Add chicken.



Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center. Add peas and cover again. Cook on HIGH for 20 minutes until peas are hot.
 In about 5 hours I will add the"dumplings" stay tuned!!!  Happy Hurricane!!

20 minutes before serving, add dumplings- we used the Bisquick recipe...you're supposed to add them by the spoonful around the edges, however I LOVE Bisquick (and carbs in general really) so I kinda put an entire top coat on the mix of Bisquick.


And the final product, the Farrell's came over as well and I got an 8 thumbs up!!!

Yayyyy another recipe in the lineup!!

And I also packed a bag of all of Ryan's stuff - dry clothes, blanket, hat, bottles, formula, food, etc just in case we have an emergency quick scaddadle we are good to go #crazyhurricanemom


No comments: